H2020-DT-NMBP-03 – 2019
“Open Innovation Ecosystem for Sustainable Nano-functionalized Flexible Plastic and Paper Surfaces and Membranes”
FlexFunction2Sustain will be the first European Initiative to support Plastics and Paper Processing Industry in overcoming challenges of improving environmental footprint and entering the digital age while offering new material functionalities through a sustainable Open Innovation Ecosystem.
FlexFunction2Sustain will upgrade materials facilities and develop and integrate services to boost innovation for nano-functionalised flexible plastic and paper surfaces and membranes and make those facilities and services available to users, in particular SMEs in all 28 EU countries through an independent Single-Entry Point (SEP) legal entity with multiple regional front offices.
FlexFunction2Sustain will create a sustainable Open Innovation Ecosystem by achieving these specific objectives:
- Set-up the FlexFunction2Sustain OITB and associated SEP to make available connected public and private owned facilities and associated services related to nano-functionalized plastic and paper surfaces and membranes to clients in all 28 EU Countries.
- Upgrade the (existing) “lab-to-fab” (TRL4 TRL7) facilities and connect them to a unique OITB to increase productivity, reliability, and process parameters by 20 – 50% for the development, upscaling and pilot production of nano-functionalized plastic and paper surfaces and membranes.
- Develop a holistic approach towards sustainable products taking into consideration the Circular Economy principles, characterization, testing and verification, as well as standards and regulation aspects.
- Validate and demonstrate the performance of novel nano-functionalized plastic, paper and membrane surfaces and processes in 4 relevant industrial environments through 6 industrial use cases:
- (1−3) Sustainable packaging offering good gas barrier properties: (1) paper based, (2) fully recyclable, (3) marine degradable;
- (4) bio-degradable optical films for security labels;
- (5) bio-functional permeability membrane for water filters in a clinic environment;
- (6) scratch resistance surfaces with integrated printed electronics in automotive.
- Create a strong, holistic service portfolio along the innovation chain at fair and reasonable conditions based on:
- technical services (material and process design and modelling, development, upscaling, pilot production, characterization, testing/verification, assessment of compliance with Circular Economy principles and with standards and regulations (in particular with regard to health and safety)
- business services (access to networks, investors, research and innovation funds, markets, value chains, and clients; services on business training coaching; due diligence verification; IP landscaping, screening and rating; innovation potential assessment of materials and products, support in standardization).
- Demonstrate FlexFunction2Sustain Services in at least 20 pre-commercial business cases (Pilot Cases) and attract at least 30 SME pilot clients from at least 10 different EU countries as early adopters until the end of the funded project period. Establish and execute a sustainable business plan that enables the OITB to generate an annual turnover of more than 20 Mio Euro per year within the first 5 years after end of the funded period.
BL NanoBiomed will be verified and implemented the bellow process for nanoparticle-based coatings. Thus, will be able to Launch new Bioelectronics pilot products & applications, Patents, Communication with Investors /VCs/Customers, Commercialization B2B, pre-contracting agreements.